April 22, 2012

Scotland with family - Day 5

The fifth day was our day to Stirling.
We woke up early again but I slept for the whole ride XD I seriously fell asleep in Dailly and woke up in Stirling XD As far as I know from my brother he had the same experience ;-D
To begin our city tour we went into the Old Town Prison. It's an old prison that was modified to function as a museum.
 The inside is really great and it tries to make you feel like an inmate while still keeping a funny air.
At specific times during the day there is a tour with an actor that I can only recommend! It's not too long and not too short and the actor is just amazing! He changes rapidly from a hangman to an old officier and then to an inmate trying to escape. It is funny if you know it's not real but I thingf it would be quite scary for smaller children. I wouldn't take anyone under 12 years in there (except when you know they can stomach it).
From time to time you get to look into cells on your own and explore parts of the prison. There is also a tower you can climb up (it's not that high ;-D) that gives you a fantastic view of the city and especially the castle =D



I totally felt like Ezio from Assassin's Creed XD My brother even fantasised about jumping onto another roof XD If there weren't those damn CCTV cameras everywhere....

Oh on the way out we even found some german on a board XD Yes, the following is from an official board in the prison XD



After laughing about the sign we started looking around for something to eat. I have to say I really didn't care what we would eat as I was just happy that it's free for me as my parents were paying (uni life at it's best XD).
What we finally found was something nobody of us expected. An austrian restaurant! =D Right in the middle of Stirling XD
My brother convinced everyone to eat there and it was delicious! The waitress came from Magdeburg (german city) and so we had our all german / austrian lunch XD Inlcuding Schnitzel for the boys and Käsespätzle for us girls =D Sooo funny XD And really nice :3 The whole meal ( 3 course meal) was really nice and I felt as if I'm back in Austria for skiing holidays =D

it even explained what a Schnitzel is =D
After that we were all stuffed and went to finally get to the castle.
The castle is amazing! I don't know where to start and where to end but it is just an amazing castle with a really interesting history! I would recommend the audio tour which doesn't cost any extra and has a lot of interesting info. The whole castle is a museum and the Great Hall was even rebuild and it is breathtaking! I can't even imagine how it must have been in the past when people from small villages got to enter this hall!
On the right side of the picture you can see what colour the whole castle had when it was build. Just fabulous =D Now only the Great Hall is this colour.
Inside the Great Hall is just huge and there are nice fireplaces along the side :3 The king that had this hall build really thought of the others in there!


From the Great Hall there is a direct way into the kings chambers and from there into the queens chambers (Lazy people ;-D).
The castle is really great and amazingly colourful on the inside =D I wouldn't have minded living in there in the past XD
And there even enough ghost stories to keep you busy looking for ghosts if you're not really interested in history =)
great chairs in the queens chambers =D


the king died before he could live in his chambers so there were never any linen put on the bed 
After exploring some more we looked around the outside and the view from the castle is jsut amazing =D I loved it and the weather was great too =D


We then went into the war museum that is located in the older parts of the castle but sadly they were already closing so we rushed through and then went back to the car to drive home.
But before leaving I explored the remains of an old tower in the castle and it was really scary =O All dark and silent and nobody else down there... But I felt like a real explorer =D


But after me exploring the remains and my dad inspecting the canons we finally got back to the car and returned home =D
It was a great day and I can only advice you to go to Stirling! There is something for everyone =D

Love
Thym

No comments:

Post a Comment