September 23, 2011

So many names... but which one to choose?

To be honest I expected uni in England to be somewhat like in Germany. And in some way it is but in some aspects it's totally different.

The aspects that are same... are mostly the way the students behave XD I think students around are all the same ^^ at least computing students. =D

The classes are... different. Less people in a module, more talking with the lecturer and all in all more active contribution of the students. In Germany many modules are with 100 or more students and during the lecture only the lecturer would talk and the students take notes. It's different in smaller modules but they are few.
Here you are always in a discussion with your lecturer and take an active part =D I really like that =D
Practicals and tutorials are pretty much the same as in Germany =D besides the fact that everyone has their very own computer login and with it his "home computer" on every computer in the uni. Which is quiet convenient.

The biggest difference I would say is that lecturers are called by their given name. This is a concept I still need to get used to. I am still so used to say Ms. and Mrs. XD But most of the staff doesn't even know the surnames of the people I'm looking for.
I had it once that I went to the information to find a person and said I'm looking for Mrs. (insert name). Nobody knew who it was and one asked me if I'm sure they worked at the uni. I said yes and that I already talked to them. After a moment of thinking I told them the persons given name. And.. surprise they knew the person quite well und could tell me their whole schedule by heart. -.- I felt kinda tricked there.
But well I hope I'll get used to it soon =D People look kinda freaked out if I call them Mr. or Mrs. while talking to them.
Oh and I asked my flatmate about it ^.^ She explained to me that students in High School always adress their teachers with Mr. and Mrs. but from College on the just say the given name of the person. So it is normal here and I'm the freaky german talking all weirdly XD

Oh and of course some terms =D
Course = Computing, Forensic Computing etc. So the Course your studying for your bachelor.
Module = The Modules you have every week (6 in my case)
Classes = I heard people refer to both of the above as classes... it is quiet confusing.

If you have any other questions just ask me =D
I hope I haven't confused anyone too badly XD

Love
Thym

No comments:

Post a Comment